Ribbon today is more than ribbon.
This is gross grain ribbon which has already been pleated.
This is what I needed:
Hanes cap-sleeve t-shirts from WalMart @ $3.47.
Pleated ribbon on the roll @ Hobby Lobby at 50% off. $1.50 per roll.
( One roll of white and one of red will make three, small flags.)
One roll of some type of blue ribbon for the “stars”.
Red thread and white thread.
A fairly long, sharp needle.
This is what I learned:
- Slip a magazine inside of the t-shirt so you can see it at the neck. This will give you a hard surface to use each time you sew through the ribbon and you won’t have to worry about snagging the back of the t-shirt.
- Start at the bottom. As you add each stripe, overlap it so that the thread doesn’t show on the previous stripe.
- Sew by hand along the same line of stitching that has already pleated the ribbon.
- Gather an 18″ piece of ribbon for the “star flowers” and make a flower.
- Make a tiny rosette out of the same ribbon for the middle of the flowers. Sew the flowers to the t-shirt.
” Wash in cold water.”